Choosing the Right Floor Cleaning Pad Colour & Size
What colour of Floor cleaning pad do I need?
Choosing the right colour of floor cleaning pad is important, get it wrong and you could potentially remove the finish from your flooring or even damage it.
The pads are graded by colour from black through to white, with each colour being gentler than the last.
The type of pad that you need will depend on the type of flooring that you have and your cleaning routine. The below table should be used only as a guide to choosing the correct type of floor pad.
- White This pad is very fine and designed for dry polishing of floors or light water spray polishing for a super high gloss.
- Tan - This pad is used for high speed polishing. (This should not be confused with Brown pads which are far coarser)
- Red – This floor pad is slightly coarser than the white pad and designed for cleaning, and spray buffing, will remove scuff marks due to its slightly coarser finish.
- Blue - This moderate floor pad is ideal for scrubbing floors and heavy-duty spray cleaning applications, its course texture will remove top layers of finish that may be soiled.
- Green - This pad is getting fairly course, ideal for heavy duty scrubbing and light stripping work.
- Black - Heavy duty coarse stripping pad, this is for wet striping of floors removing old finishes. It is important to keep this pad on the move as its course nature will quickly damage floors if left in one spot for too long.
What size of floor cleaning pad do I need?
You will need to measure the deck of your machine to find out what size of floor cleaning pad you need. You simply need to measure across your drive board as per the below image.
The pad fitted to the drive board should be approximately 1” (25mm) larger in size than the drive board itself. We have included a table below showing the common sizes of pad in inches and mm.
Inches (Imperial) | mm (Metric)
- 10" - 254mm
- 13" - 330mm
- 14" - 355mm
- 15" - 380mm
- 16" - 405mm
- 17" - 431mm
- 20" - 510mm
What Types of Flooring Can a Floor Pad be Used on?
Floor cleaning pads can be used on most types of flooring, but are especially suited to very flat flooring with little to no crevices in them. If you have a floor that ins very uneven, or tiled with large deep grout lines then a brush may be more suited to your needs.
How Long Do The Pads Last?
This all depends on the type of flooring that you have and how often you clean your floors, if you have rough floors and clean them every day then you cannot expect the pads to last as long as pads that are being used on a smooth floor.
Will I Need Any Special Adaptors To Allow This To Work On My Machine?
If you do not already have a drive board for your machine then you will need to purchase one to use these pads on your machine. Which machine you have will affect the type of drive board that you need. If you have a Numatic machine you will most likely find the appropriate drive board on our website, otherwise give us a call and we will be more than happy to assist you in finding the right drive board for your needs.
Free Standard Delivery
On all orders to UK Mainland when you spend over £96
Experts on hand to help
Not sure what product you need? Give us a call!
Instant FREE Credit Available
Work in the Public Sector? We have credit options available
Highly rated by our customers
We supply to thousands of UK Businesses and Households.